The Council Bluffs YMCA has been meeting the needs of the community since 1867. The first Y was formed by community leaders and was located in rooms over the Townsend & Chapman store. In 1972, the Council Bluffs YMCA merged with the YMCA of Greater Omaha association, later moving into its downtown location at 7 South 4th Street in 1979. Currently, a new Y is being built to better provide the community with access to healthy living and youth development, which will be known as the Charles E. Lakin YMCA.
The YMCA of Greater Omaha offers its members and non members a wealth of programs so everyone has the opportunity to get involved as people and as members of their community. With sports leagues, swim lessons, childcare, fitness programs and much more, there’s something for every member of the family.